Take advantage of seasonal summer fruits and vegetables to create a healthy, fresh meal for your family. These simple meals can be prepared in a flash – all without having to turn on the oven. Try one of these recipes from Sun Basket and make summertime meals easy, healthful, and fun:
Lettuce-wrapped Turkey Burgers with Basil Mayo and Grilled Peach Salad
Lean turkey burgers become extra-savory when seasoned with spices and topped with immunity-boosting basil mayo. Grilled peaches and tomatoes add sweet smokiness to a colorful, side salad that is rich in vitamins A, C, and antioxidants.
- 3 peaches or other stone fruit, pitted and cut in half
- 5 ounces cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1¼ pounds ground turkey
- 2 shallots, finely chopped (enough to measure ¼ cup)
- Burger spice blend (1 tsp onion powder - 1 tsp granulated garlic - ¾ tsp sweet smoked paprika - ¾ tsp salt - ½ tsp black pepper)
- 3 sprigs fresh basil, leaves coarsely chopped (reserve half for the salad)
- ⅓ cup mayo
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- ¼ pound baby kale
- 4 large lettuce leaves, such as iceberg
Cooking instructions: On a lightly oiled grill or frying pan on medium-high heat, brown the peaches and tomatoes cut-side down. Let cool, and then cut the peach halves into quarters. Combine the ground turkey, shallots, and burger spice blend in a large bowl; season lightly with salt and pepper, and form the mixture into four patties. In the same frying pan or on the grill, cook the turkey patties until browned and cooked through. Stir together half the chopped basil and mayo in a small bowl, season with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, combine the vinegar with 1-2 teaspoons olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss with the baby kale, peaches, tomatoes, and remaining basil. Serve the burgers in lettuce leaves, topped with basil-mayo and with the peach-tomato salad on the side.
Heirloom Tomato-Strawberry Gazpacho
Gazpacho is a classic Spanish tomato soup traditionally served cold. Strawberries add a fun twist not to mention antioxidants and vitamin C.
- 4 heirloom tomatoes, cored and cut into quarters
- 2 Persian cucumbers, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1½ cups organic strawberries, green hulls removed, and berries cut in half
- 2 orange and/or yellow bell peppers, stems/seeds removed and cut into quarters
- ½ white onion, peeled and cut into large pieces
- ½ serrano chile (with stems, ribs, seeds removed), cut into quarters
- 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Small bunch fresh chives, finely chopped
Cooking instructions: Combine all the ingredients (except the chives) in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Strain the gazpacho through a fine-mesh strainer into a medium bowl, pressing with a ladle or spoon to extract as much liquid as possible; discard the solids. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Before serving, chop the chives for garnish.
Frozen Mango-Coconut Whip
Frozen bananas are a magical ingredient. Put them in a blender and they turn into a creamy, cream-less delight that is almost like ice cream (but without dairy or sugar). Plus, they’re loaded with potassium.
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ cup culinary coconut milk, chilled
- 1 ripe banana, peeled, sliced, and frozen (about 1 cup)
- 4 cups frozen mango pieces
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar, honey, or other liquid sweetener
- ½ teaspoon Tajín® Clásico Seasoning, optional
Cooking instructions: Toast the coconut flakes in a dry frying pan over medium heat until golden brown. In a food processor or blender, combine the ingredients (except the Tajin), and process until smooth. Garnish with the coconut flakes, sprinkle with Tajín, and serve immediately.