“New Year, New You” is on everyone’s mind at the beginning of the year, and what better time than now to recommit yourself to your health and wellness goals? Avoid the pitfalls of the New Year’s resolution by following your intrinsic motivation to success in 2020 with these five tips from GlobalFit:
- Start Small: Make small changes and small goals to start. These changes eventually add up to big differences and sometimes the smallest change can make the biggest impact. Overhauling everything at once can be exhausting (and also not necessary). Identify 1 or 2 "small" things, master those habits first, and then move on to something else! For example, try packing your lunches instead of getting takeout, or drinking an extra cup of water each day.
- Slow and Steady Wins the Race: Don’t force yourself to jump full-speed into something new. Ease into your new routine gradually so that you avoid being. Value consistency.
- Enjoy the Activity: Get excited about working out by sticking to an activity that you enjoy and your body and psyche respond to in a positive way. You don’t have to be in the gym on a treadmill 5 days a week or adhere to the latest trends! Do some yoga at home with your partner, take your old bike out for a ride on the weekend, or go for a walk with a coworker at lunch. You are more likely to stick with something that you find enjoyable, not torturous.
- Get More Rest: Remember that rest time can be productive. Being able to get a full night of sleep and taking time to relax is the foundation of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Your body needs sleep in order to repair and rebuild the muscle that you’ve been challenging and recharge your brain.
- Limit Distractions: An average of 44% of young adults eat or exercise while distracted- while driving, on the phone, working, or watching television.1 Put down your cell phone, turn off the T.V., and focus on the activity at hand. You will not only feel more focused, but you will develop more awareness of what you’re eating and create the mind/muscle connection that is crucial for growth.
By focusing on these five essential areas, you will set yourself up for success with a healthier 2020. Remember, you can always start over if you fall behind on your goals.