Standing in line to spend more than $5 for a cup of coffee is not very appealing. Those little pods are also expensive, and the landfills are full of them. But that fragrant brew is hard to resist. So if you are just not happy without a gourmet cup, you can keep more money in your pocket with these tips for making barista-quality coffee at home:1
- Grind your own coffee beans. This may be the most important step if you want a truly fresh cup of coffee. Invest in your own grinder, and for best results, store the beans in an airtight container. Grind the beans less than 30 minutes before you brew for the freshest taste.
- Use a scale instead of a scoop. Weighing your coffee will ensure you use the same amount each time. Once you find the perfect ratio of coffee to water for your taste, you will have consistent results.
- Test different brewing methods. If your drip coffee-maker just isn’t doing it for you, try a different process. The French press is popular among coffee lovers and affordable. The pour-over method is one of the simplest, and some say it produces the best-tasting coffee when done correctly.2
- Use a better filter. Bargain brands don’t make the best brew. Look for the words “oxygen-bleached” or “dioxin-free.”
- Keep it clean. It may not be on your mind first thing in the morning, but clean brewing equipment makes the best cup. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to keep yours sparkling.
An initial investment in some basic equipment can go a long way in translating to savings over a daily coffee shop ritual. When you control the brewing process, the taste can also be adjusted to your palate.
1 CNET. T Martin. 7 Tips that Will Change the Way You Brew Coffee at Home. April 18, 2018.
2 Serious Eats. N Cho. Coffee Science: How to Make the Best Pourover Coffee at Home. April 18, 2018.